Minutes from August 2, 2013 Reunion Committee meeting.
Present - Jack Johnson, Don Powell, David Mena, Ray Rivera, Lanny Ruck, Kit Thomas, Jeff Bland and Sandy Johnson
A great time was had by all at our committee meeting. Between beers, lunch and jokes, we discussed the following items.
1) We gave Sandy the shirt orders. There were orders for 24 shirts. They will be ready by the reunion. Also, the glasses will be purchased and taken to the engraver. Jack will start on the name tags.
2) Friday night at Carlos & Mickey's is absolutely full! There is a football game that night. Burges vs. Chapin at Irvin HS Stadium 7:05 pm. So we plan on Happy Hour at 5 pm, dinner at 5:30. Those that want to go to the game will have time to make it before kickoff, and those that do not want to go can linger or go back to the hospitality room. The game will be optional. We decided on a Mexican menu - chile rellenos, tacos, and enchiladas.
3) The new Schedule of Events will be up shortly. I will send an email when it is revised.
4) The event Saturday night will be Happy Hour - 6:30, Dinner at 7:00 and music and dancing after 8:15 or so. Warning - there will be a kioke machine there, and David has already said he is going to sing "Ring of Fire".
5) The El Paso Scene and the El Paso magazine will be mailed out to out-of-town resistrants in early September. This will give you all the events that are happening in El Paso so you can plan for your free time.
6) We are full for Carlos & Mickeys, but we still have a lot of room for Saturday night. Since the deadline has passed, we are going to open up the registration to other classes and other El Paso classmates. We decided on a price of $40 to cover the meal, music, dance floor and other charges that the classmates have been charged. We have about 20 shots left to fill up the Underwood Golf Center ballroom. I will layout a special web page for this later.
7) We are happy to report that we are in the "black" for our budget based on just our 75 registrants.
8) Since we have a girl signed up for the poker game, we decided to officially classify it as a official Burges event. It was classified as unofficial. She said that we can still smoke cigars and cuss. Classmate registration money is still not being used for the poker, the golf or the bingo.
9) We discussed having a wet t-shirt contest and a mini reuion of Jack Johnson's girlfriends but, fortunately, both were voted down.
Next meeting will be August 30, unless Jack or I get thirsty sooner.
Minutes from December 1, 2012 Reunion Committee meeting.
Present - Jack Johnson, Don Powell, David Mena, and Ray Rivera
The official dates were set and will be September 19-21, 2013. The weather will be beautiful at that time of the year. The official motel is the Wyndham, which is next door to the airport and has great amenities. Check here to read their letter to us. The Hospitality Room is on the ground floor close to the pool area and the outside bar where they have covered tables and chairs. You can get to the pool area and the bar through sliding glass doors. We will have the Hospitality Room open and stocked for those wandering in. Hours will probably be Thursday 1 pm to 11 pm, Friday 1 pm to 5 pm, and Saturday 1 pm to 5 pm. We will ask the out-of-towners that are staying at the Wyndham to handle the room, which would include getting it stocked and keeping it stocked with sodas, beer, wine and a bottle or two of Jack Daniels. Also, they would need to insure that it opens and closes at the correct times. They would be required to throw out David Mena and Johnny Valles when the time comes. Any volunteers?
We are working on having a banquet Friday and Saturday nights. Friday would be casual with plenty of socializing and games. No music. It will be at a comfortable location where you can kick back. We are currently exploring some interesting locations for the banquets. Saturday will be more formal (business causal) at a more fancy place with dancing music. We want the music loud enough for the dancers to enjoy but low enough for people to still have conversations without yelling. Ray Rivera is looking into getting the music.
We also discussed souvenirs, door prizes, decorations, banners and name tags. Ray and Jack are going to work on the name tags. They are going to try to get our school photos on the name tags. We discussed a running slide show but are not exactly sure what we would show. We would have to scan the yearbook and show that. Any ideas?
We want to have a custom shirt made. A nice quality golf type shirt with a custom logo. We would take orders for them when you register online so we can have the exact amount and size for you when you get here. We don’t want any shirts left over. Sandy Johnson is working on that. Lanny Ruck is in charge of the golf tournament for Friday afternoon.
As far as the events go, we realize that you want some downtime to visit with family or other friends and to explore your own personal hangouts. So you need some down time. You’ll have Friday morning and afternoon and Saturday afternoon. We want an unofficial restaurant on Friday and Saturday where you can go for lunch if you wish. Someplace where they will let us order off the menu. Someplace like Carlos and Mickeys or Julio’s. Saturday morning will be a Burges tour - 10 am to noon. We will have a list of exciting things to do in El Paso for you all that have been away for awhile.
Our web site will handle the registration and all other information. We are not going to use Reunion Warehouse. I am shooting for March 1 to open registration. I plan on using Pay Pal to take your credit card information. If you do not know about Pay Pal, they are a secure service to accept credit cards for businesses or events like ours. I am currently studying how to design the registration form in Dreamweaver. I think I have a neat idea for photos. I would like for everyone to take photos over the weekend. Then I will set up page for you for your photos. Each photographer will have their own pages for their own photos that they took over the weekend. Even your personal photos taken during your downtime, if you wish. I will include captions if you supply them. This could be a lot of photos but that’s OK. I would like for you to give me your camera’s SDHC chip at the reunion, and I will mail it back to you later or we could download them there. I am also fixing an “upload” location on the web page for photos. There will be no memory book printed. I will put all the photos on a DVD and mail them out sometime after the event.
Well that’s it so far. We are going to meet again in January and then every month thereafter to plan the reunion. Before the next meeting, we will be looking at locations for the banquets. We have some in mind that we think you will enjoy. Thanks to Johnny Smith who has been working for years on getting our contact information. This effort is really paying off now.
We welcome your comments. Email them to me, and I will get them to the committee. firstname.lastname@example.org
July 14, 2012 - We had our latest reunion meeting at Luby’s Saturday July 14th with Larry Ruck, Jack Johnston, Merry Anne Fordham, Kit Thomas, Ray Rivera and Don Powell present and accounted for with David Mena present but not accounted for. We discussed several items that will be of interest to you. I’ll put them in list format. Nothing is locked in stone so your comments and suggestions are still welcome. I will be out of town and away from Internet and cell phone service until July 30 so I may not respond to your comments right away.
1) We decided to move the reunion to late September or early October depending on the Burges football schedule. Also, June is just too hot with temperatures in the 100’s this year.
2) We decided to not have a memory book. Kit’s brother-in-law is a professional photographer that will take quality pictures and put them on a DVD for everyone. They will also be on the web page with captions.
3) Since several folks said they wanted music, we decided to have music at the Saturday night banquet. We are looking at two options for the music - a DJ or a couple of guys David knows. Of course, the music will be ‘60’s.
4) There will be Golf during the day on Friday. Lanny Ruck will be in charge of organizing the golfing event.
5) Because of the expense and because we feel we don’t need them, we are not going to use Reunion Warehouse. We will depend on our web site for all information and registration.
6) We discussed having a 10k run and an oldest looking person contest, but they were both dropped as ideas.
7) We haven’t decided on a cost yet, but we discussed having a $50 non-refundable deposit. If you register, then you get credit for the deposit. If you say you are coming and you don’t, then we keep the money. What do you think of this?
Also on the price, we discussed having an “early bird” special and then progessively increasing the price as the time gets closer.
8) Other items discussed were having a “Welcome Packet” including a souvenir program, name tags with our class photo on it, a quality golf type shirt that would be preordered and would be available at the reunion, inviting the classes of ‘62 and ‘64, a “moment of silence” for departed classmates and decorations.
9) Here is a preliminary agenda -
Thursday afternoon - Informal get-together in the hospitality room as classmates arrive.
Friday during the day - Golf for the golfers, and we haven’t decided on an activity for the more sensible of us yet. Any ideas?
Friday evening - a football game - we hope.
Back to the hospitality room for a nightcap after the game.
Saturday morning - tour of Burges
Saturday during the day - on your own
Saturday evening - Banquet at a local restaurant that is large enough to accommodate us.We are looking at seveal options for this. It will be informal. Is that OK?
10) We are keeping a close eye on the class of ‘62’s reunion scheduled for October. After their reunion, we will get together with them for advice.
11) It’s time for you to start comunicating with us. We are working on a preliminary survey just to guage interest in the reunion and our plans. Please be on the lookout for this survey sometime in August and get it sent back.
December 3, 2011 - We made some decisions at this meeting.
First we decided that we would officially accept the responsibility of organizing the reunion and will proceed with planning for it. We will seek you help and encouragement between now and the reunion.
Other decisions in no particular order are:
The reunion will be a 3 day event - Friday, Saturday and Sunday June 6, 7 and 8, 2013. Friday evening will be a social get-together at the main motel in a suite. Saturday morning will be breakfast with a tour of Burges to follow. Saturday afternoon - we haven't decided, but we thought to just leave it open. Saturday night will be a buffet banquet at a local restaurant. Sunday morning we will have a good-bye bunch. All locations are yet to be decided. However, we really don't want the Saturday night banquet to be at the motel. By the way, the main motel will be the Wyndham near the airport.
We decided that classmates would rather talk and catch-up on friendships in a relaxed atmosphere than listen to a band and dance. So we don't plan on any entertainment for the banquet. What we are going to do is ask some of the out-of-town folks that have indicated a desire to help to get-together online and come up with some ideas to make the banquet fun. For example, "name that tune", who has traveled the furthest, who has been married the most, the least, trivia from old TV shows, or even karaoke of 60's songs. Sandy will be contacting you on this.
We don't have enough information yet for a budget so we don't know a price yet. We are expecting between 50 and 70 people, including guests. Everything must be pre-paid to prevent any financial problems later.
We decided that perhaps we should have our own Facebook page or group. This may become useful the closer we get to the reunion. I have set up both but am leaning toward a "group" account. This will allow only classmates to use the site. You need to request to join and then you can connect to each other just like a page. On a normal page, anyone can join, and I don't want that.
We decided that we do not need any major printing done. We will not have a photo album or reunion book. All photos will be on the web page. This was an economic decision and is, of course, open for discussion. We will have a nice shirt like a polo shirt with the Mustang embroideried on it. Sandy will design the shirt and make one for us to put on the web. You will be able to pre-order so you can wear it at the reunion. We don't plan on printing any t-shirts.
It was a pretty productive meeting. We need to contact Burges and get their comments, we need to contact motels in the area for prices, we need to book the Wyndham, we need to locate a venue for the Saturday banquet and we need to work a budget. You can help by doubling your efforts to find lost classmates and by giving us your comments.
We would love to hear your comments on our decisions. You can either email by clicking HERE or if you want to take the Facebook group page for a test drive, click on the logo. We hope that, like us, you look back on you high school years as fondly as we do and that you will start to get excited about joining us at our 50th Reunion.
July 31, 2010 - We met again at David's home. Present was Don Powell, Renee Quiroz and her husband, Dave; Ray Rivera and his wife, Jan; David Mena and his wife Terri. We ate chicken (that David cooked on the grill), potato salad, cole slaw; we played frisbee with the dog (Maggie); drank beer and wine; and talked about old times. We felt like we needed to discuss some business so we decided that the first step in our reunion plans was to get in contact with as many classmates as we can. We divided the roster up among us with the intent to call everyone to see if their information is valid/up-to-date. Every classmate needs to look over the roster and see if there is any information that can be updated. If you have any new information on anyone, get it to Johnny Smith.
The photo (left to right) Renee Quiroz (O'Donnell), Don Powell, Jan Rivera, Terri Mena, David Mena, and Ray Rivera. Dave took the picture.
June 13, 2010 - We met again at David's home. Present was Don and his wife, Bobbie, Sandy and her husband, Jeff, and David and his wife, Terri. We ate hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad; played frisbee with the dog; drank beer and wine, and talked about old times. O yeah! We did discussed some business, too!
1) We would like to have nice polo shirts made instead of T-shirts. Maybe purple with gold sleeves and gold collar or vice versa -gold shirt with purple sleeves and purple collar. We have plenty of time to get your comments on this.
2) We are going to write a letter or a post card to all classmates still living in El Paso to see if they would like to serve on the committee. We need more people on the committee than we have now. We have $300 left over from the 40th that we will probably use for postage.
3) I (Don) will contact Burges to see if we can link to their web site. I would think that our lost classmates would look at that site first to try and get in contact with us.
May 2010 - As a result of the encouragement of Johnny Smith, four classmates got together to begin the long road to having a 50th Burges High School Reunion. Present was Don Powell, David Mena, Kit Thomas, and Sandy Johnson. Also present was Sandy's husband, Jeff. Little business was discussed as most of the meeting was devoted to getting to know one another again. We agreed to meet again in about a month.